Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Few Good Things

We're still waiting for Ash to have some good luck, but Theron and I got a few good ones in this week.
Theron had two, I said TWO, 100% good behavior/work completed days at school. It's pretty much unprecedented. He's now the proud owner of an Eon Boy costume. I don't know who that is, but he was stoked. It's fun to see him so proud of himself.
For me, the luck was winning the bag raffle at Trader Joe's. When you bring in your own shopping bags they give you a raffle ticket and every week someone wins $25 in groceries. You can't buy alcohol or vitamins, but you can buy everything you were going to buy anyway and splurge on a bottle of the good stuff.
This week Ozge and I took a shopping trip downtown in the fabric district to get Inherent Vice Squad supplies. Meters are now $3 an hour so I had a wallet full of quarters. We found the perfect spot and as I started pulling into it some homeless guy started to pummel my meter. I couldn't watch him and drive at the same time, all I could think was NOW what!? but Ozge said he was shoving an open paper clip in the slot and hitting it. When we got out there was an hour on the meter. He said if we gave him $2 he would put more time on it if we went over an hour. So we did. Now Ozge wants to try this trick herself, but I don't think I want to be there when she does.
We found some little treasure houses of supplies among the many duds. Ozge is a natural in the market place. She bargains and makes demands. I just ask the price and give it to them, but when they tried to charge me $6.99 for something I paid $5 for on Saturday I complained and got the better price without even really trying. We came away with an armful of supplies and a bunch of swatches. Now we just have to do the work.
We ordered some products with our logo on them - silver tape measures for giving away at the conference, and aluminum water bottles and retractable ear buds for sale at the booth. So things are moving along...

No comments: